Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Say Cheese

You won't hear me complaining about the snow! Growing up in Oregon all I ever saw was a whole lot of 45° weather; year round. And I'm sure it snowed the winters I lived here in Utah while I was going to school, but I have only one very specific memory of the snow involving me sliding off the side of the road into a ditch as I was driving, and being too stubborn (and/or embarrassed) to call my new boyfriend Gabriel for help. Eventually, some nice boys stopped to push me back onto the road.

Nowadays Gabriel generally takes the wheel, but when I have to drive, this is what I've learned:

  • 1. Drive slow and... 
  • 2. If you lose control do not turn against the direction you are sliding

Being a little elf this year living in Utah I have found myself enveloped in mountains of white! They are gorgeous! Do you know all the things you can do with snow? You can make fresh tracks and look back and see how big your feet are!, and what the bottoms of your shoes look like! You can make beautiful snow angels! You can skate and slide around wherever you want to go! If you dare risk catching pneumonia, you can go running in the snow and burn extra calories just by having to trek through all the extra powder!

And! of course! you can build a snowman!

Today Holly Jolly Sisters is bringing you snowmen!

With all the visiting and events this season, this indoor snowman will be the perfect centerpiece, hostess gift, or contribution to bring to a dinner invite (expect a lot of ooh's and aah's!), but be sure and don't give away how easy this little man was to create.
Cheesey Snowman

Aloutte Cheese
graciously invited me to review their new Sweet and Spicy Pepper Medley Spreadable Cheese. The spreadable cheese is smooth like cream cheese, but lighter with a excellent silky composition. The pepper medley is made with real Peppadew and roasted red peppers and fresh herbs from South Africa, and comes in a beautiful salmon hue. It pairs well with crackers, brioche, on quesidillas, or with bread as an upgrade to the traditional cucumber sandwich.

This cheese also looks, and tastes, great as snowman. Aloutte has 10 different varieties of Spreadable Cheese, but I opted to pair my Pepper Medley with the Light Cucumber Dill, and the Spinich and Artichoke cheese.
Cheese Balls:
Base: 6.5 ounces of cheese (Pepper Medley)
Middle: 4 ounces of cheese (Spinich and Artichoke)
Head: 2.5 ounces of cheese (Light Cucumber Dill)

Measure out cheese on wax paper
Form into a ball
*For added crunch, knead in sliced almonds
Coat with finely shredded white cheese (Sharp Italian)
Chill in fridge
Repeat for each snowball round

While cheese is chilling: 
Cut a baby carrot for nose
Trim off ends of olives for buttons, and eyes
Shape a wedge of cheese for top hat (Colby Jack)
Two pretzel sticks for arms

Assemble cheese balls atop one another
Affix the hat, eyes, nose, buttons, and arms
Enjoy with your favorite crackers!
I was also able to sample some of the other excellent crumbly cheese Aloutte produces: Blue Cheese, Goat Cheese, Gorgonzola and Feta. They are an excellent accompaniment to homemade pizza, fresh green salad, or breakfast crepes lending an immediate fresh taste to any spread.

Now sled your way over to Pammy's Blog to check out her crafty snowmen made from POM Juice bottles!

5 Sweet Talkers:

Evan said...

Super cute, and yummy I'm sure. I love that cheese.

Now, in honor of your newfound love of snow, I have a quote for you:

"First we'll make snow angels for a two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookiedough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle." -Elf

You're welcome! :)

Barbara said...

Such a fun (edible too!) snowman!
And ah yes...I remember snow angels, snowball fights, snow forts, ice skating and all those good things that snow brings. But I am not entirely unhappy to live in Florida. ;)

Jeanette said...

Oh the good memories this brings, plus the scary ones of sliding on icy roads. The snowman is precious.

Pamela said...

That is the cutest snowman I have ever seen. The perfect snowman for a cold winter's night!

Chic Cookies said...

Too cute, I'll post a link tomorrow at craft gossip! ( Thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin