Thursday, August 27, 2009

Transforming Ingredients

Being that all I seem to talk about is traveling, not my travels (of which there are none to speak of) - but the hope for future world adventures, one would assume that this month's Daring Baker's challenge would be one I would be grinning about from ear to ear... but, I just couldn't seem to muster up the energy to tackle it.

I was relieved when I saw someone else post a parallel sentiment on the DB forums, however, it isn't called the Daring Bakers for nothing, so finally yesterday I set to work.

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.


I believe Heavenly Father created chickens solely for the purpose of baking cakes. The transformative possibilities that can be created from a simple egg are vast, and the differences between the two components-egg and yolk-are far reaching.

This cake employs the best of both-egg and yolk-through the whipping process, and the decorative elements are just extra icing (pun intended).

Dobos Torte

Sponge Cake
cup confectioner's sugar
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whip together until thickened and pale yellow

Whip remaining 6 egg whites until soft peaks, add cup confectioner's sugar and whip to stiff peaks
Fold whites into yolks in three portions

Sift 1 cup flour + 2 tablespoons, plus a pinch of salt, over eggs and fold together

Line pans with parchment paper and spread batter evenly over paper (This cake traditionally has a minimum of 6 layers)
Bake on the top rack at 400°F, 5 minutes, or until cake springs back to the touch and is lightly browned around the edge
Remove cake from oven, invert onto flat surface and slowly peel off parchment
Allow to cool entirely before trimming each layer uniformly

Chocolate Blackberry Buttercream
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
Whip together until pale and thick

Add ½ blackberry puree
(1 teaspoon lemon zest,
two tablespoons sugar,
1 cup of whole blackberries)

Place bowl over a pan of simmering water
Whisk constantly until egg mixture begins to thicken

Add:
4 oz. finely chopped chocolate
Continue to whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth
Let cool

Finish by beating two sticks of butter into chocolate berry mixture until even and thick, one tablespoon at a time, and 1-2 cups of confectioner's sugar

Cashew Crunch
Recipe


Finalè:

Frost each layer, one by one,with buttercream and a sprinkle of crushed cashews
Frost around the sides and top of cake
Break up crunch and decorate sides of cake with triangle pieces


Despite my valiant stubbornness in making this cake and procrastinating until the last minute, it does taste fabulous! The textures are pleasing, the addition of blackberry is berry sweet and perfect, and it's a showoff, but... I still don't know how I feel about it.

...And don't forget to enter my giveaway!

27 Sweet Talkers:

Gabriel Olson said...

I can't wait to eat the snot out of this cake when I get off work tonight. It is making me all sorts of hungry!

Jenny said...

Chocolate blackberry buttercream and cashew crunch... intriguing, very creative and, I'm sure, very tasty! Great job! I love your blog name by the way! :)

Rush said...

The torte has come out fab...and the layers, OH MY!!! every bit of me wants to diggg in

mandymortimer said...

Chocolate blackberry buttercream... mmm, sounds good! I love all the swirls, makes me wants to stick my finger in the frosting to get a big dab :D Lovely work :)

Sue Sparks said...

Chocolate blackberry buttercream sounds like heaven! Beautiful job on the challenge!

Pamela said...

I love all those layers. The crunch makes the cake look like a castle with spires!

Peggy Bourjaily said...

I just joined daring bakers! That looks divine and I love your pictures.

Aparna said...

You put cashews in them, they're my favourite. Love the cashew crunch shards. They really make your torte look unusual.

tonic said...

You should feel proud! That looks and sounds like an amazing combination..I need to try that Cashew Crunch!

CookiePie said...

Wow - what a lovely torte! I love the idea of adding blackberry, and cashews! Fabulous!!

Lisa said...

I also had a lack of baking energy this month, and didn't tackle the last two cakes until the night before!

That said, your Dobos turned out gorgeous, and I love the blackberry incorporated into the chocolate frosting. Sounds delicious! Wish I could taste!

Holly said...

Love the flavour combination! Looks like it turned out really great!

Audax said...

Chocolate blackberry buttercream and almond crunch what a delicious flavour combination. And that final photo of the cut torta is a REAL money shot. Bravo on this very creative torta. And yes I'm an Aussie bloke - most people think I'm a lady (I hope LOL LOL) in the Daring Kitchen... some people are a little surprised when they find out HeHeHe. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

cathy said...

when i first read "chicken" and "cake" my eyebrows went up and I thought, hmmm, what kind of cake is she making...? and then I realized that you were talking more about the egg. but still, a chicken flavored cake! that would be interesting. but the cake you ended up making still looks absolutely delicious!

Barbara Bakes said...

I loved this part of your post "I believe Heavenly Father created chickens solely for the purpose of baking cakes." I think blackberry is a great addition to the cake! Your layers are great!

Lis said...

I'm loving the blackberry AND the cashew crunch! Now that's the kind of caramel that I don't mind sticking to my teeth. Your cake looks so pretty, your layers look perfectly fluffy! Wonderful job, sweetie!

xoxo

Lauren said...

Love your spin on the challenge!! Your torte looks amazing, and sounds delicious =D.

isa said...

What a beautiful torte! I love your chocolate blackberry buttercream and your cachew crunch!
Great job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin