Saturday, May 16, 2009

It's All Worth It... In the End

This is not my week for photos.

After the awful Mother's Day photos of my Chocolate Lemon Tart, and my subsequent cursing (j/k I don't swear!) at the said photographs, and for realistic dramatics let us throw in a bit of exasperated sighs and flailing my arms about, my sweet Gabriel built me a lightbox; I didn't even ask for it! Unfortunately however, creating a magical lightbox does not an incredible photographer make.

My first frustration was at having the wrong bulbs, though this excellent tutorial explicitly states to use "daylight florescent 60-75 watt", and I was left with dark yellow pictures. After remedying that obstacle, I discovered too little tissue paper, i.e. one thin sheet, will create overexposed washed out photos! And then... despite reading the manual over multiple times I still do not understand how to manipulate the shutter and aperture settings, other than in such a way to make my photos grainy. And then, I learned that my camera will refuse to focus when zoomed in!

My camera will now synonymously be referred to as Satan... even Photoshop doesn't have power against this destroyer.

What's worse is all this happened over the span of a few days as I was baking for a big group dinner, a birthday party, and a Fringe night! So, lucky readers... more bad pictures to come (this is almost worse then when I was using my cell phone camera)!

The lightbox itself however, is a beautiful contraption: illusory, whimsical, enchanted, benevolent,... as are most things that arise from Gabriel's machinations. He is quite the catch. Plus, he sliced it all together quite frugally with discarded items from the maintenance shop; an old cardboard box spray painted white with killz, two useless ratty old lamps disbanded, a piece of leftover wood and violà! And, I think I've got the lightbox, and perhaps my camera, figured out.

Cake: Gabriel's Favorite Cheese
This is the lightest, smoothest cheesecake you will ever enjoy. It will entice you with each morsel as it slides across your tongue and fuses with your taste buds. It is soooo decadent that you won't be embarrassed to show horrendous pictures of it on your blog.


½ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup hard crisp ginger cookie crumbs
½ cup butter wafer cookie crumbs
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
Press into bottom of lightly greased 9" or 11" springform pan, and along sides if desired
Bake at 300°F for 5 minutes

24oz. cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup sour cream
¾ cup whipping cream
Mix until smooth and airy

Add 3 egg yolks, one at a time, mix until smooth

Whip egg whites and fold into mixture

Pour over crust
Bake at 300°F, 45 minutes
Turn off oven and let cool 20 minutes in oven, enough for cake to deflate

1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
Mix to light and smooth

Return heat to 300°F, pour glaze over top of cake and smooth
Cook additional 10 minutes, turn oven off, let cool in oven for 45 minutes

0 Sweet Talkers:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin