Monday, May 25, 2009

One Tasty Tradition

One family tradition I remember vividly, is eating Apple Pancakes at The Original Pancake House on our annual trip to Eugene, Oregon to support and watch my sister Pamela run (and win!) at the State Track and Field Championships.

I suppose there were other things on the menu, but we always chose the Apple Pancakes. They are a version of a Swedish pancake lathered with caramelized apples and cinnamon sugar and they are incredible! They are a little sticky with perfectly sautèed apples for a bit of a crunch and oozing with buttery drops of European flavor.

While reading all of the delectable cheesecakes created for April's Daring Bakers Challenge I suddenly became inspired to make a caramelized apple cheesecake by following the same process as my favorite pancake house.

Cake: Apple Cheesecake
Crust: Peanut Graham

¾ cup graham crackers
¾ cup finely chopped peanuts
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
Mix together and press into bottom of lightly buttered 9" or 11" springform pan, and along sides if desired
Bake at 300°F for 5 minutes

Cheesecake: Recipe

2 medium apples, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup karo syrup
½ cup brown sugar
In heavy cast iron pan sautè apples on medium, stirring occasionally, until apples are browned and mixture has become thick and sticky
Pour cheesecake into crust and smooth to edges Lightly spoon apples and sauce over top of cheesecake batter Bake at 300°F for 45 minutes, until set but middle still wobbles (The apples will likely have fallen into the cake and indented the form of the cake - do not be alarmed this will only enhance the cake) Turn oven off, leave cake in oven to cool slightly, about 15 minutes Drizzle 4oz. Caramel Sweet Sauce over the top of the cake and leave in oven to cool for 30 minutes Run knife along edges of pan before removing rim Place in fridge to set completely

I barely got a picture of this last piece before someone swiped it!

7 Sweet Talkers:

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Thank you so much! I have a habit of not accepting compliments too well, and I actually wish I had gotten better pictures!

Pamela said...

Oh, I wish I had been there to try a bite. Making cheesecake sounds scary, but this one I might just have to try. Carmelized apples, sounds heavenly!

Tangled Noodle said...

This is incredible! I thought you were presenting a puffed apple pancake but the cheesecake is a wonderful surprise. What a great recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin