Friday, May 22, 2009

Comedy Routine

My husband, ever the comedian.

I asked Gabriel to preheat the oven for my brownies today to 350° - he asked, "Oh, is that the temperature at which sweets happen?"

Gabriel is a pretty funny guy but what is even better is when he thinks he's made an extremely funny joke. If I don't laugh when Gabriel is purposefully being funny, he will wait patiently as he peers at me out of the corner of his eye, waiting or hoping for a belated laugh... and if he doesn't get that he'll either repeat his joke or elaborate, without relenting, until he gets the laugh he is hoping for, which of course he'll promptly receive merely because of the hilarious effort he is putting forth.

He and I often joke how similar we are to Doug and Carrie on "King of Queens"; we heart the Heffernen's.

Brownies: Chocolate Cake
Frosting: Mint Buttercream
Glaze: Chocolate

Shockingly, I used a brownie mix! I have to admit - I love brownie mixes! They are the one and only thing I eat and/or enjoy out of a box; however the brownie mix makers have the additions slightly wrong.
Discard that box along with anything extra that may have come in the box, and add instead:
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
¼ cup water
¼ cup milk or buttermilk
3 eggs
Whisk together, pour into greased 9x13 rectangle pan
Bake for 15 -20 minutes, turn oven off and let cool in oven

2-3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Crisco
½ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ - ½ cup milk
Mint flavoring to taste
Green food coloring to desired color
Beat with electric mixer until smooth
Spread over top of cooled brownies
Allow frosting to set and form a crust before preparing glaze

10 oz. chocolate
5 tablespoons butter
Melt chocolate and butter and stir until smooth, pour over frosting layer, let set
I grew up on these delicious brownies. I don't know what prompted my mother to create this wonderful creation, but these are a top favorite of mine. Second to the taste is that they are truly beautiful, and the flawless chocolate layer looks so delicate and fragile that it is a delightful surprise to bite into it and discover that it is as smooth as the minty frosting layer beneath it.

6 Sweet Talkers:

Pamela said...

I love,love, love brownies! Oh yum, especially the ones from the box. You just can't go wrong. Add a few nuts and I am in heaven!

Heather said...

that is soo funny that you posted this brownie. I was SOO going to send you a mint choc brownie recipe JUST similar to this one! hilarious! i am glad that you have this one! it looks divine!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

These are super easy! I love to hear how yours turn out if you make them - and they are so beautiful!

Tangled Noodle said...

My husband would love these - he's a mint chocolate fan. And neither of us care if it's a boxed brownie mix - delicious is delicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin