Tuesday, May 26, 2009

7 Day Itch


One thing I've never been too keen on: stretching. Stretching in my opinion, is like pre-soaking laundry. When you pre-soak laundry, you are putting clothes in water with soap, just before you put them in water with soap. I've just always felt like running was stretching, in that when running one conquers long strides and achieves warm muscles; isn't that the same product of stretching?

Combine repetitive running uphill on concrete, favoring one leg to alleviate pain from the opposite ankle, plus no stretching = stress fracture. Hip stress fracture. Hip stress fracture = nothing but lying in bed.


I mentioned when we went to San Francisco, I can't go without baking for too long before I start to get the itch. It's the the same feeling my husband gets when he hasn't drawn for days, or I presume my sister gets about sewing, or my mother about collecting cardboard boxes (I tease). Needless to say, lying in bed has made me itchy. But... what can someone with a stress fracture make while supported with crutches?

Ice Cream: Iced Lemon

My favorite ice cream hands down is Tillamook French Vanilla Ice Cream. Tillamook products are not available nationwide, and Tillamook Ice Cream is only available in Oregon, Washington and Northern California. Lucky for us, Tillamook is just about an hour away from us here in Portland and it is always a treat to visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory sampling every kind of cheese imaginable, taking home a bag of squeaky cheese, and delighting in freshly churned Tillamook Ice Cream.


A few years ago (and many times since then) acting on an illicit craving for lemons, I squeezed a few fresh lemons whipped up with Tillamook French Vanilla Ice Cream. Today for Sugar High Fridays I decided to make the real thing; fully cognizant of the fact that no ice cream I make will ever truly compete with Tillamook.

This month's theme is "Sweet Without the Wheat", hosted by Zilla at Climbin' the Walls.
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
Begin to warm over med heat

Add zest and juice of two large lemons
¼ teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt

Whisk 2 eggs, temper with cream mixture, return to pan
Continue to cook just until mixture begins to boil, stirring constantly
Turn heat off, continue stirring until mixture has cooled slightly
Pour into medium sized bowl, chill

Just prior to churning, add zest and juice of one additional lemon
Make ice cream according to manufacturers instructions

It is smooth, perky, and creamy and definitely cools a bad temper from lying in bed for 8 days missing the first and probably only 80° weather of the season, all the new blooms, particularly the new roses, not getting to enjoy the park with the furries, and knowing I have another 21 days of bed ridden fun!

4 Sweet Talkers:

Heather said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOSH! that looks SOO STINKING RIDICULOUSLY DIVINE! I CAN"T EVEN DESCRIBE IT!!!

oh my gosh! seriously! mmm! I WILL NOT eat ice cream! BUT< homemade!? GOOD HEAVENS! i am ALL OVER THAT STUFF! Mmm good! love you girL! i am soo sorry you are stuck in bed, like charlie's grandparents! :O(

lisamichele said...

I echo what Heather said. That ice cream looks and sounds divine, Kitty! As always, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity and skills!

Cheri said...

Mmmm... lemon ice cream... that sounds so refreshing! I can almost taste it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin