Friday, March 13, 2009

Needed: Milk

I like moist cake. You've heard me say/write it as many times as I've talked about cake, I like it moist; I like it airy; I like it soft; I like it fluffy; I like it meringuesque; I like it silky; I like it springy; I like it buoyant; I like it dewy. I want its texture to feel like biting into a cloud, or a sweet muddy sponge will do just the same; enough flavor to entice but moist enough to be both entreè and beverage. The perfect cake should be a full course meal in it's entirety.

That is not this cake. This cake is thick, dense, and well... thick. It is extremely compact. It's a fabulous cake; just not moist.

Cake: Death by Chocolate
Frosting: Chocolate Fudge
It was probably named Death by Chocolate because the creator was afraid one might choke via consumption of it - do not attempt without a tall glass of milk.

I made this cake by request for our ward's Enrichment night, this past Wednesday, celebrating 167 years of Relief Society.

The cake is from, "The Cook's Encyclopedia of Chocolate", pg: 102
The frosting is from, "Chocolate Box", pg: 12
Melt:
8oz. chocolate
1/2 cup salted butter
2/3 cup milk
Stir constantly till smooth, remove from heat

Add:
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat until smooth, let cool slightly
Whisk:
2 egg yolks
2/3 sour cream
Mix with chocolate mixture

Add:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Stir to incorporate

Whisk 2 egg whites to stiff peaks; stir into batter; pour into one 9" pan
Bake at 350°F 45-55 minutes, until firm to the touch
Cool on wire rack
Between each layer of cake, I tried to sneak in an impersonation of airyness by brushing each with a concoction of lemon zest, juice and a tidge of powdered sugar. It offered a delicious hint of lemon with each bite, but did absolutely nothing for the texture.

You probably saw this coming, but if I were to make this cake again: I would add an extra 2 cups of milk.

This frosting is (can... not... stop... licking.... fingers... impossible...) amazing!
8oz. chocolate
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup butter
5 tablespoons evaporated milk (I used heavy cream)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Stir constantly over low heat until melted and smooth
Cover, let set in fridge at least 1 hour
Finalè:
Spread fudge frosting liberally over cake
Pour a tall glass of milk...
...and enjoy!

2 Sweet Talkers:

Pamela said...

Needed: Gallon of Milk! That looks delicious!! How glorious is Cake? How lucky is your husband?

Heather said...

that does look amazing!!! i too like moist airy cakes! i am trying to master them! it is taking me some time though! I DO however have a great recipe for you! mmmm good! love ya! xoxo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin