Sunday, March 8, 2009

My First Love

As I mentioned, I was having trouble choosing a new book to read until I saw one my first love: Wuthering Heights. A few months back I went through my book shelf and turned all the books I wanted to read in 2009 on their spine. When my sister Pamela posted a blog about her favorite book, Gone with the Wind, I decided immediately what to read.

Wuthering Heights is such a fantastic tale of forlorn love, deception and revenge.
Heathcliff's love for Catherine is shockingly pure, "If he (Edgar) loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn't love as much in eighty years as I could in a day," p 126.
Catherine's emotions are wild with livid intensity, "There she (Catherine) lay dashing her head against the arm of the sofa, and grinding her teeth, so that you might fancy she would crash them to splinters! Her hair flying over her shoulder, her eyes flashing, the muscles of her neck and arms standing out preternaturally," p 102.
And the most beautiful insults throughout that make one choke on the sheer perspicacity and betrayal of eclipsed vehemence, "[He is] an unreclaimed creature, without refinement, without cultivation; an arid wilderness of furze and winstone," p 89 "He's a fierce, pitiless, wolfish man," p 90.

I've had a lot of time to read while Gabriel has been working. Working so much, in fact, that Friday night was the first night he was able to get more than 4 hours sleep; work is a blessing and a curse - mostly a blessing.

These muffins are easy to whip up when you have a tired husband that you want to surprise early in the morning, and retain a crisp cool summer element even when fresh out of the oven. Unfortunately for me, my husband woke up before I could get them out of the oven, buttered and on a plate, but we enjoyed them together none the less, even if it was more like the afternoon rather than the morning.

I first saw these muffins as most viewed on Food Gawker posted by Delicious Cook; then they seemed to pop up everywhere I went. Amy must have invigorated a whole generation of inspiration. I know that I for one was delighted at the result.

Muffins: Lemon Almond Ricotta
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Zest from 1 medium lemon
Mix until soft and smooth

Add:
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup ricotta cheese
Mix 2-4 minutes, until batter turns to a lighter color

Add:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix until just incorporated

Sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or 25-35 for jumbo muffins.

6 Sweet Talkers:

shiyuan said...

why is it called "ricotta" muffin when there is no ricotta in the recipe?

Heather said...

is it because they look like ricotta!? anyways, THEY LOOK HEAVENLY! and, let me JUST TELL YOU, i want to make those sooo bad! mmm those look SOO divine! seriously girl!

oh! i loved wuthering heights! you are awesome!

anyways, miss you catherine! i will chat with you soon! :P

THOSE LOOK AMAZING! AS ALWAYS!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

My goof, they do have ricotta! I've fixed the recipe, thanks for reading!

Heather said...

thanks i totally got it!!! i am glad that your friend asked! yay! love you! CAN NOT wait to try these divine creations!

Evan said...

I'm reading Wuthering Heights right now but am at a standstill. Thanks for convincing me to pick it back up. And thanks for the muffin recipe...and the mention in an earlier post...and for checking my blog...and for...I'm sure there's something else. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin