Saturday, March 28, 2009

Honeymoon Period

I think the first time I had Crème Brûlée was on our Honeymoon Cruise, and considering it was part of a buffet line I'm a bit surprised that it made an impression that was positive.

Grand Caymen, Cozumel, and New Orleans 2002.

The cruise director admonished us not to exchange personal information with the locals, probably obvious, but when we docked the reason for the warning was blatantly apparent. A little kiosk off the side of the street rented scooters in exchange for a credit card, a drivers license, and a little cash. We walked away, of course, but surprisingly they called us back and said we could rent the scooter for just the fee, no plastic required.

It was marvelous. We were able to drive up and down the coast of the entire island, mingle with the natives, eat outside the tourist traps, and swim in beautifully clear ocean water on vacant beaches. The only down side was that I forgot sunscreen.

Having lived in the South for a little while, visiting New Orleans was like coming home; sharing it with Gabriel was magical. Café Du Monde beignets and sticky powdered sugar tables, French Quarter and eccentric painters, balloon contortionists and a romantic stroll along the Mississippi river at dusk.


I always thought that Crème Brûlée was a dessert that would never be a part of my repertoire. Not because I didn't find it heavenly, I did after all say that cream would be one of the foods I couldn't live without, but because it seemed too complicated. Of course now that just seems silly.

My first successful cream tart arrived delicately thin, silky, fluffy, pale yet sweet, and fulfilling.

Pastry: Crème Brûlée

Over medium heat bring to a boil:
3 cups cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
Dash of salt
Remove from heat and let cool slightly

Whisk:
1/2 white sugar
1/2 brown sugar
6 egg yolks
Slowly pour cream into yolks while whisking


Pour mixture back into pan, and stir over low heat until mixture thickens just slightly

Pour into ramekins and bake in a shallow casserole dish filled halfway with warm water, at 300°F 45-60 minutes


When done, brûlée should be set on the rim, but wobble just slightly when dish is tapped

Allow to chill for a minimum of 3 hours
Sift white or brown sugar over tops and torch, or place on top rack in oven under broiler

8 Sweet Talkers:

Heather said...

OH! MY! that looks amazingly delicious!! you two are soo dang cute!
yeah kirk would be one of the people that handed them a credit card. hey why not our passports!? and birth certificates, so they could RUN and go make a copy!? haha! j/k
no! that is hilarious!
you guys are soo dang cute!!!

Marleys! said...

I love the honeymoon pics--you guys are hot. Cat, you always make the most amazing desserts, gosh I wish I had that talent.

Hey about Betty--wanted to add that there was some crazy drama about getting her back. I will have to tell you sometime. (teaser: my sister has disowned us.)

Pamela said...

Seeing your honeymoon pictures make me want to get my own out and have some good ol' memories.

Breanne said...

Creme Brulee is Clint's all time fav dessert. We have a whole cook book dedicated to different variations of the decadent dessert but just the good classic original is always our favorite!

VintageMixer said...

that's so funny..I think we has Creme Brulee like at least 3 times on our honeymoon!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin