Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hit and Miss Cravings

I've been craving something with a deep, yet subtle and resonating flavor that immediately warms your throat and lungs as it weaves its way down through your body. I can almost taste it, but the knowledge of what it is, is just narrowly out of my grasp.

I thought it was apple crisp, but I shortly realized it was something much more intricate, with intertwining flavors of roasted pecans, toasted coconut, a hint of orange maybe, brown sugar - and then of course that missing piece which is alluding me.

I must dwell on this a bit more...

Crisp: Apple
Topping: Strudel

Apple Crisp is so simple, and so much like pie, but without the inconvenience of pie crust.

Peel and Core Apples
Add sugar (sweeter), and flour (thickener)
For 4-5 apples, add 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup flour

Layer in baking dish with a few tablespoons of butter amidst layers


Garnish with strudel topping
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup flour


Bake at 350°F, covered for 1 hour and serve straight out of the oven with straight cream, or ice cream

4 Sweet Talkers:

Heather said...

that looks DIVINE! WOW WOW WOW YUMMMMY DUMMMY DOO!(don't know what that is about!) it looks great!

Pamela said...

you always have such cute fabric on your table when you take a picture. looks yummy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin