Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, the answer would be easy: strawberries (notice to the right - an email cupcake, with a strawberry no less).

If I could only eat two things for the rest of my life, I would add cream to that endless supply of strawberries.

And, if I could add one more thing to that list: crêpes.

Every summer growing up, as far back as I can remember, my family went strawberry picking. It is such a staple in our family tradition that this past Christmas, my amazingly talented sister, Pamela made my parents a Family Tree Quilt. Check out the bottom of the quilt; a crate of strawberries and each of our memories of being in the field embroidered.

I can think of no better word to describe picking fruit, than spiritual. Although you are among friends, it's truly an individual process. Sifting through the patch within the immense field, inspecting each and every berry on the vine and weaving your way through the red and green labyrinth.

I was also fortunate enough one summer to pick peaches in an orchard in Alabama. In fact, if I were able to add a fourth thing to my list of infinite quantities of limited types of food, it would be peaches. When picking peaches, it is effortless imagining that the entire universe is contained easily in that one solitary tree; for that tree, within the orchard is all that can be witnessed in what appears to be an all encompassing scene.

Crêpes
Filling: Strawberries
Topping: Whipped Cream

1 Tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup flour
Dash of salt
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk

Pour all ingredients into bowl, or simplify things and throw them all in a 1 quart jar and fasten lid
Shake well
Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes
Shake again
Recipe will yield about 8-10 crêpes


In a well buttered crêpe or round pan, pour a few tablespoons of mixture over med heat (my husband refused to use a round pan... but it makes no difference really)
Allow to cook for a few minutes, then flip over and repeat on opposite side

Remove crêpe and add a dab of butter, allow to melt
Fill crêpe with sliced, quartered or diced strawberries marinated in a bit of sugar, fold over both ends

Finalè: Top with whipped cream, and an additional strawberry for garnish

6 Sweet Talkers:

Heather said...

I also love crepes! and peaches are MY favorite fruit of all time!!! i haven't had a REAL fresh peach since i lived in utah! it is soo sad!
anyways, those look divine of course, as always! mmm good! LOVE YA!

Pamela said...

"a bit of sugar" try a dump load of sugar because that makes it taste that much better!

Breanne said...

Holy Crumb, I love Crepes. I think that is what I am making for breakfast. I have strawberries in my fridge right now. We had crepes on Saturday moring but htis makes me want them again. :)

Olga said...

Those look delicious.

Sometimes when I have strawberries but no whipped cream, I take sour cream, add some sugar, mix, and then toss in strawberries. I know it sounds a bit odd, but it's really good!

tiffany @ the garden apartment said...

Mmm. . . I love crepes. My family used to make crepes with a sweetened cream cheese filling (I guess they were more of a blintz, but nevertheless, delicious).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin