Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pure Love

Gabriel and I thought it would be fun to try and watch a religious movie together every Sunday.

The Mormon culture is not without it's fair share of ridiculous and borderline embarrassing films. Let's name some:
Church Ball,
Mobsters and Mormons,
and The Home Teacher.
However, this same culture produces an equal number of inspiring films that have the ability to motivate and embolden the viewer - such as:
Errand of Angels,
The Best Two Years,
and Gods Army.
This past Sunday we watched Gods Army 2: States of Grace. Truly, this is the perfect title for the film; a story of atonement, redemption, and pure love.

For me, Sunday's used to be a lazy day of napping, watching TV, and mostly just not working. Recently though, Gabriel and I decided to try and make our focus on Sundays as God has commanded... sacred and holy. For us, this has meant giving up the internet and the television on Sunday. We'd opted instead to write a letter each week to friends or family, watch an LDS or religious film together, and attempt to create an atmosphere that reflects our commitment to living more Christlike.

I have to confess that through sickness and upheaval and a variety of other unjustified excuses the past couple of weeks I've completely abandoned my new resolve... until this past Sunday. Watching this film reminded me of what I feel is truly important in my life: My relationship with my Heavenly Father, and my Earthy and Eternal Family.

Invigorated by this previous Sabbath, and enticed by the upcoming St. Valentines Day, I baked some sugar cookies to give to the people I love in my life - locally that is... at least the ones we don't eat... which may be none...

Cookies: Sugar
Frosting: Pink Royal Icing

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
Beat together until creamy

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours
Roll out on lightly floured surface and cut desired shapes
Bake at 350° until a barely detectable shade of golden appears on the base of the cookie
Makes 15-20 cookies

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 (or more) drops red food coloring
Whisk together until smooth

Inscribe the letters LOVE all over them!

In addition, I've added a new poll to my blog. 10 days left to vote!!

Also, I've joined the Daring Bakers! I'm thrilled to be a part of what I consider a baking movement, and I look forward to testing my skills through each challenge!

5 Sweet Talkers:

Benj and Melinda said...

Very cute. I have tried a many of times to decorate cookies and have never been able to make them look so good.

Marleys! said...

I love the cookies--super cute. That's great about the new commitment to not watch TV and internet on the Sabbath. Derek and I have been doing this for a while now. It's tough at first, but just takes some time to get into the habbit--good luck!

Pamela said...

your cookies look like perfection. almost to good to eat. this is a good remind to make them before valentine's day pamela

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Thank you so much! Pammy - did you notice the background behind the cookies?!

Heather said...

you are simply amazing! seriously they sound sooo divine oooh yum!!! and LOOK SOOOOOOO AMAAZING! of course! like your friend said.. too good to eat! for real!

I would LOVE to decorate soo beautifully!

love you sweetie! i am soo impressed about your sabbath changes! that is a hard thing to do!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin