Thursday, January 29, 2009

Creating Beauty

I've been very emotional the past couple of days.

I realized last night (as I contemplated what I would do the following day) it was time to bake when lying in bed alone, sobbing, sounded like a viable and desirable plan for the day. I believe there is a beauty in completely releasing of all your anger, resentment and heartache; when there is no possible understanding for your suffering sometimes the only alleviation is through tears, yet when I find myself consumed with an aching that can't be quenched - filling my world with beauty is often all the healing I need.

More than anything today, I wanted fresh raspberries. I knew my husband would understand, even when I spent $5 on a package of 10 solitary, out of season raspberries. Unfortunately though, he had the car so my grocery options were limited to the Albertsons within walking distance. Sadly, they had none to be found. Instead, I settled for the blackberries in my freezer.

Crust: Graham Cracker
Cheesecake:
Vanilla
Topping: Sour Cream Sugar
Decorations: Lemon, Chocolate, Blackberries


Crust:
Grind 1 package of graham crackers, or 1 1/4 cups of graham cracker crumbs
(if you are like me I can never find the aisle these are on at the grocery store!)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
Stir until grahams are incorporated and press into the bottom of an 11" springform pan
Cook at 325° for 5-7 minutes

Cheesecake:
3 8oz. packages of cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
Juice from half a lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 Tablespoon honey
Beat until smooth and creamy

Add three egg yolks and beat for 2 minutes

Whip egg whites to firm peaks and fold into mixture
Pour into crust
Bake at 300° for 30 minutes or until cake is not quite set in the middle
Topping:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir well, and spoon lightly on top of cheesecake, spread evenly
Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes

Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan
When cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan, lightly run a knife between the sides
Allow to cool to room temp before removing rim of pan

Decorations:
Blackberries with a small dose of sugar syrup
Lemon Glaze
Handfuls of chocolate chips

Blog Widget by LinkWithin