Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Frightful Weather

I remember one snow day in high school, not one snow day in particular, but one snow day in totality. That wasn't because we had to trudge to school in the snow no matter what, but because it doesn't snow in Portland. I took pictures of that one solitary snow day because that is what a huge deal it was.

I remember one snow day in college too, again because it was such a big deal. It was in 2004 and the entire city shut down. It started with snow but then turned to treacherous ice. Gabriel had to go to a meeting across the Fremont and was stalled on the over pass, watching car and truck after car attempt to go over... but slam into the eastern facing side railing because it was so slick.

I've been told the Farmer's Almanac predicts world wide this year to be the worst winter ever, maybe worse for those in -26° F Minnesota, but here it's a novelty and I call that best! Church was even canceled (Thanks Bishop!) and the missionaries were forbidden from driving or teaching. Fortunately we live across the street, and I got to play hostess while we enjoyed hot chocolate, marshmallow popcorn, cupcakes, butter toffee and pumpkin pie.


You can find the recipe for Toffee at my sister Pamela's blog: French Knots although personally I prefer equal parts white sugar and butter; quite tasty.

The marshmallow popcorn is conveniently called: Yummy Popcorn by my sister Jill from whom the recipe derives:

Pop 2-3 bags of butter microwave popcorn

Melt over medium heat:
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
1 cup butter

Bring to boil for 3 minutes. Watch closely because you don't want to cook it any longer.

Remove from heat.

Add:
3 cups mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Stir until mallows are melted and pour over popcorn. Stir to evenly coat popcorn.

Good luck keeping your sticky fingers out of this and pray for more snow here in Portland!

1 Sweet Talkers:

Heather said...

Ummm that marshallow popcorn has been my favorite since you gave me that recipe.. I LOVE it way too much! not good! gee, i wonder...HOW did i gain a random 40lbs!? i have NO CLUE! ;O)
love ya! (not all from your popcorn.. but alot of it i am sure)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin